I have a lot of things to be grateful for…
CHOC Hospital has been a HUGE part of our lives. My daughter Elisha was born with a really rare chromosome abnormality (Chromosome 4q deletion), and also my niece Jerrica battled Leukemia 5 years ago. This year, I will walk the CHOC WALK for both Elisha and Jerrica…
Read more about Jerrica’s story here.
They say that God only gives you what you can handle, but this has definitely been a very difficult journey for my family. I don’t usually write about this on my blog, because it’s very hard for me to open up and discuss this publicly. Elisha requires 24 hour care and nursing. She is in and out of the hospital, for numerous ongoing medical issues. It’s just become part of our “norm.”
I’ve decided to finally come out of my shell, and share our story. I feel this is important because I want to show my gratitude for everything CHOC has done for Elisha and Jerrica.
Carlos and I were young parents, and we had no idea of the amount of medical care that Elisha would need. CHOC was there for us from the very beginning. They helped us manage her care, and get the best medical treatments available. The doctors at CHOC were very compassionate, and helped us tremendously throughout most of her childhood.
Her pediatrician, Dr. Teresa Hollander, was wonderful and was very attentive. She often called us after her office hours at home, when Elisha was sick or not feeling well. She also helped us with her transition to adulthood.
Her life expectancy was only 7, but she is now she is 27 years old. I cannot say that I have done this alone. My incredible parents, familia, Dr. Hollander, and the sensational CHOC staff have been a HUGE part of her story.
This year I will walk for my daughter Elisha and my niece Jerrica!
Muchismas Gracias CHOC, we could have not done this without you!
Join me Sunday, August 11th at the 2019 CHOC WALK In the Park! Join my team or donate to #JerrBear here.
- Sunday, August 11, 2019
- Main Street opens – 5:30 AM
- Opening ceremony Main Street U.S.A. – 6:00 AM
- Entrance cutoff time: 7:15 AM
- 5K walk through Disneyland® Park and Disney California Adventure® Park.
- Early Bird Registration $85 per person (3 and older)
- Late Registration $95 after July 29, 2019.
- Walkers ages 2 and under FREE
- CHOC Walk information booth will be available morning of for questions.
- FREE Parking at the Disneyland® Resort will be available for all CHOC Walk participants.
- Parking structure opens at 4:00 AM